At Wolviston Primary School we:
- Ensure that school is a safe place for everyone.
- Ensure that everyone in school is treated fairly and with respect.
- Recognise that people have different needs and that treating people equally does not always involve treating everyone in exactly the same way.
- Consult with people from different groups and involve them in our decision making.
- Recognise that extra support is needed for some pupils to help them achieve their full potential and be successful.
Difference is protected under British law. There are very clear aims in the Equality Act 2010 that provide guidance for schools. The Equality Act references nine ‘Protected Characteristics’ and we agree that no one should face discrimination because of:
- Gender reassignment
- Sexual orientation
- Pregnancy or maternity
- Marriage or civil partnership
At Wolviston Primary we talk openly about these different groups in an age-appropriate way. We use picture books that show different people in stories, and we make sure that our children understand that no matter who you are, you are welcome in our school. We enhance our commitment to our Equality Policy though an initiative, devised and written by Andrew Moffat MBE, called No Outsiders. Check out our No Outsiders website page here.